Sunday, August 16, 2009

This little Gringa went to Market

One of my favorite things to do in Honduras was to go to Market. Once a week, everyone comes to the center of town and sets up shop. There is tons of fresh produce, and a little bit of everything else. Anything from rap CD's, hammocks, horseshoes, cigars, and clothing, you name it, it was probably there. I even bought me a good pair of jeans for 200 lempiras (roughly 10 US dollars).
I learned as a gringo, they charge you significantly more than they would charge a Honduran. (Not a big surprise.) However, I also learned you will either pay the "gringo price" or "the stupid gringo price." And I feel I did pretty well. I always tried to ask the price in Spanish so I sounded like I sort of knew what was going on. And even if I got ripped off, no biggie. Just helping the economy, right? Besides, I got a way better deal than I'd ever get here.
What I loved most about market was the busyness. There is just so much life there. So much going on, lots of bright colors, fun music playing, chickens running around, or sometimes a horse, or a cow, or maybe even a pig just wandering right on through.
My favorite purchase by far was my mango. When I first saw them, joy filled my soul. The biggest, most beautiful mangos I have ever seen. Almost as big as my head, the perfect coloring and firmness. I wanted to buy them all, but then remembered I'd have to trek them back a long walk home.

Here my friend, Juan Carlos, is teaching me how to pick a good one. Not sure why I look so confused though. Maybe this was my mad face when I realized I wouldn't be able to take them all with me. :)






And here we have the winner and a very happy Colette.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my gosh that's awesome! There are a lot of markets in NYC, and also stands on the street, but it's kind of expensive and not always good. This looks like the market from heaven! So awesome.

Unknown said...

nothing beats fresh fruit.
ever.
or awesome markets...