I figure it's time for a post about why I went to Honduras in the first place. To clean teeth! And did I ever. This post may be more interesting to my hygiene ladies. As I tend to get passionate about hygiene, this may be a long one, and I may lose some of you non-hygienist types. It's ok.
The organization I served with, Shoulder to Shoulder, has a brand new medical and dental clinic and they have done a NICE job. I brought my own instruments, not expecting much of the donated clinic instruments, but boy, was I pleasantly surprised. They were fully equipped with plenty of sharp hygiene instruments and ultrasonic tips. They even had Nevi scalers! My favorite. Many of the instruments were better than some I've used in the st
I was so spoiled while working there. I learned I was the first hygienist to ever serve with this organization, which also means I was probably the first hygienist ever in that part of the country. Dr. Idalia was so kind and she made it very clear she was grateful I was there. They treated me so well. Anytime I needed my water filled, my assistant would run and do it before I could even stand up. And did you catch that? MY assistant. I had an assistant in addition to an interpreter. I had my own little team. It was SO nice.
Although I had plenty of help and was treated like a hygiene queen, believe me I worked SO HARD. I had between 6 and 9 patients a day, half of which had NEVER had a cleaning before. It was like taking board exams 4 times every day, but even more intense as I was cleaning the whole mouth and not just one quad. And even those who had "regular cleanings," had tons of subgingival calculus.
It was very challenging, but such good experience. I was surprised by what I could do and how quickly I finished difficult patients. And hygiene ladies... you know that amazingly satisfying feeling when you get a huge piece of black calculus.... Oooh, I was feeling that ALL day!
By the end of each day, I was completely beat. I've never better understood the feeling of pure exhaustion. Looking back I really don't know how I finished everybody. Even with a fan and A/C, it was very hot and humid and I was drenched in sweat the entire day. I'm not complaining though. Just amazed I held out that long.
There was one day in particular that I started to feel a bit discouraged. I wondered if all my hard work was even making a difference. Hygiene care is effective if consistent. Will one good cleaning in someone's lifetime really make a difference?
One of my most difficult patients helped to change my perspective. She was an older woman whom I gave a VERY deep cleaning... without anesthetic. She should have hated me. As I was finishing up, I started to apologize that her gums would be so sore before healing up. However, she just got the biggest smile on her face and told me, "Oh, it doesn't matter!! Thank you SO much for what you have done for me. God bless you. Thank you, thank you."
I realized then that it was all worth it. I made a difference to this woman.
Ok this last pic is for my hygiene girls. Would you take a look at this fine pinky/chin fulcrum?? Mrs Veit would be proud. :)
6 comments:
I loved this post! You made me want to go do a humanitarian mission sooo bad! Maybe this is weird but I got all excited when you described the "chunky-calculus-being-chipped-off" feeling ALL DAY! That would be so fun! That would be SUCH good experience, and yes extremely exhausting. I'm exhausted after a day of 8 class I-II's! Way to go, I'm so excited for you that you got to do this. So cool!
Hey, You! This is Blake and Amanda. She stumbled upon your blog and showed me. : ] I love you! It's so good to hear what you are up to. It looks like you are having fun! Oh, Colette, I haven't seen you in so long. I miss you. ...Oh, and I have news for you. I asked Amanda to marry me and she said yes! <3 Blake & Amanda
ah, that sounds like a BLAST!! how amazing would that be. and i commented on my own blog, but in case you don't see it, i'd LOVE for you to come with me on my travels!!! next up: peru and africa.
What an amazing opportunity! That is one of the reasons I went into dental hygiene. I hope my day comes along....
What a great experience! I love that big chunk of calculus breaking off feeling...it seriously is the best! I am so jealous you got to go and I want to come with you next time. Then again, if you want that same experience, except in the U.S., just come to Montana! I'll hook you up with some goodies. Miss you!
Wow!!! First of all, it's great to see pictures of you at least! It's been so long. I'm glad we finally got in touch. You're so cute! And second, what a great experience. I would love to do something like that someday. Like teach English or something. I guess I'll have to wait a while though! Anyway can I add you to my blog list? Whether you reply or not, I'm going to anyway. Hee hee. I'm still kind of new at this blogging thing but hopefully we can keep in touch often!
Post a Comment