Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A letter to LIFE… and good riddance to Year 2010

Listen here, LIFE.

I’m not sure where we got off on the wrong foot this year, but enough is enough already. I’ll admit you’ve put up a good fight. You’ve dealt some pretty impressive blows over that last twelve months. But today was the last straw. With two short days left in the year, could you just take it easy please? Just simmer down alright?

That blizzard you pulled out today was pretty crazy to say the least. I commend you for your efforts. You didn’t waste any time showing me you meant business. At the not so bright, but very early hour of 6:30am that Semi truck stunt took me by surprise. I was particularly impressed when the massive truck practically ran me off the freeway with the tidal wave of slush and ice, while simultaneously hydroplaning my tires toward the cement barrier. It made for an exciting morning. But I made it past that hurdle and forged on. Thinking you had done your worst for the day, you surprised me yet again on my way home from work by turning the road into a swirling river of snow and my usual 10 minute commute into an hour. Despite my careful and snail paced driving, you still managed a fender bender within a half mile from home and safety. And after all that, to add insult to injury, you just had to throw in that last insurmountable snow bank.

You really pulled out some big guns today. And you may have squeezed out a few more tears, but what’s a few drops to the ocean you’ve extracted before?

With all you’ve dragged me through this year, haven’t you learned that you can’t keep me down? It’s gonna take more than a measly blizzard to push me over the edge. Sure, you’ve knocked me down HARD several times, but I always get up. Even through all those months of indescribable pain and darkness, I pulled through.

You’ve put me through a LOT, but I get the point, alright? You’re tough. You’re demanding. You are completely unbearable at times. You are extremely painful. Yea, I got all that. But I also know you are beautiful, even more than I can comprehend. How about we see a bit more of that side, huh?

You’ve been an incredible teacher this year. I’ve learned more than I ever wanted to about heartbreak, darkness and depression, abandonment, selfishness, jealously, disappointment, and PAIN. Most of all I understand pain. BUT… it is this same pain that has opened up a place inside me to receive more love, beauty, loyalty and true friendship, and more PEACE than I ever thought possible. It has definitely been a year of extremes.

Good riddance 2010. And LIFE, you better have some ridiculously awesome junk around the corner for me in 2011. You must admit it’s time. However, if you choose to deal out some more of those “lessons” you seem to be so fond of… I am absolutely ready. And I have you to thank for that. In other words… BRING IT.

Yours truly.

-C

5 comments:

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

Brilliant, Coco. You never cease to amaze me. I'm so lucky to have you in my life. Here's to 2011!!

Christine said...

*like*

if i'm remembering correctly, you worked in payson yesterday morning (for katie) and springville last night (your normal shift). you are a stud! driving to payson = no fun when it's snowing. i've had to do it a few times. hopefully it will get better. :)

i'm excited to work with you on fridays next year!

:)

donelle said...

Coco! I LOVE this. You are amazing and like Manda said, I'm so lucky to have you in my life too! 2011 is going to ROCK! Love you!

Amy said...

Like you!

Laura-Lu said...

Wow. You took the words right out of my mouth, only you said it better than I ever could. Thanks for sharing that, as well as for the comment you made on my blog, what you said meant a lot to me. You are amazing. Here's to hoping that 2011 brings a lot of great "junk" for the both of us!