Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Sad Day on Condo Row


For the past three years I have lived in an area commonly known as Condo Row. Three of the four buildings in my ward are each located on one of the corners where the two streets of Condo Row join together to form a T. The stairway to the guys' building, Kensington, is called The Stoop. It's our common meeting place and hang out. On either side of the stoop are two large maple trees. Two summers ago, these trees outside of Kensington were threatened. Management decided it was time for them to go and planned a day to have them cut down. Once word got out about the trees' sad fate, a call to action was heard amoung the residents of Kensington and efforts, headed by Brad Packer and Brian McEwen, were made to save our two friends. Petitions were signed and the trees were surrounded with signs and caution tape barriers. Their hard work payed off and the outcrys of our fellow students were heard. The trees were saved! It was a sweet victory. (Check out the full story published by the Daily Universe on May 18, 2006)
However, it was a victory that could not last forever. Tragically, the powers that be, (management) prevailed this year. This afternoon I left my apartment to see the sawdust remains of one of our trees being scooped into a wheelbarrow. Robyn Richardson, a former resident on Condo Row, and an eye witness to the events of this morning said:

"yeah, I was walking by right when they were cutting it down. I was about to run and stop them/punch their lights out, but I restrained myself"

Now all that remains is a barren spot of ground, a lopsided looking landscape, and our memories. From the shade we shared at many stoop BBQ's, to the Rock-the-Block lights hanging from it's branches (among other objects, chairs, etc), and to the monkey-like tree climbing skills of Brian and Brad. We will never forget.

May our departed friend rest in peace.

3 comments:

Jody said...

Colette!!! I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm so sad about those trees we fought so hard for! But, I'd rather hear the news from you then drive by and stumble across the grim truth by myself. Oh, all the summer days we spent a'stooping under the shade of those beloved trees... I just may blog about this myself! Hope you don't mind if I steal the picture off your blog post. That's cool that you found it and the original article.

Well, have a great summer with lots of adventures! I'll be checking up on you (via google reader of course) to make sure you do.

Love ya!

Amanda Ann Hansen said...

That was a beautiful eulogy. Well said. You can always count on Hood for a good "punch their lights out" quote.

Amber and Ryan said...

What a cute blog Colette, I love it!